BHS-TV is an award-winning television program that produces a bi-weekly newscast for the students and staff of Barrington High School. Through the support of the Barrington 220 Educational Foundation and the hard work of BHS-TV students, it is one of the most successful high school video programs in the country.
BHS-TV has been recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences more than any other high school program in the country!Students enrolled in BHS-TV have raised more than eight million dollars for charities and have earned more than 70 Student Excellence Awards from the National Television Academy. BHS-TV has also earned the award for Best News Program in the Midwest multiple times. In 2015 and 2016 President Obama invited the BHS-TV video students and their instructor to the White House Film Festival.
BHS-TV instructor Jeff Doles has a PhD in Educational Technology and has an abundance of industry connections that he is able to connect his students with for projects and internships. BHS-TV students have worked directly with CBS, WGN, FOX, Hollywood Chicago, Chicago Bears, Blackhawks, NFL Films, Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Bandits, Windy City Bulls, 365 Barrington and Quintessential Barrington. Recently, BHS-TV students partnered with Gatorade, professional athletes and other high schools across the country to create this special project showcasing high school sports during the pandemic.
Students have also dabbled in the music industry, creating a music video for Platinum selling recording artist O.A.R., interviewed Jethro Tull, Kevin Rudolf, G-Eazy, The Academy, Meek Mill, All Star Weekend and created promotional videos for Ke$ha, Warped Tour, Gigi's Playhouse, Chicago Mustangs, Six Flags Great America and many other incredible bands and organizations.
- IHSA TV News State Champions 2023
- Created promotional video for the Barrington Police Department
- Awarded Best High School News Program 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2016, 2018, 2020
- Students have earned 13 National Television Scholarships
- More than 3,000 minutes of BHS-TV Episodes
- Millions of Youtube/Vimeo views
- More than 5,000 videos created
- More than 1,500 students in the 16 years of the program
- 70 Student Excellence Awards for the National Television Academy
- 30 National Competition Video Winners (iPadpalooza, Say No to Teen Dating abuse, Teen Drive365)
- Students have filmed for the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks, Sox, Fire, Bandits
- More than $8 million raised for local and nationwide charities
- Two ultra-celebrity visits to BHS (Rihanna) (Brad Paisley) thanks to winning video contests
- Two White House Invitations
- Invited to National Awards Ceremony in LA with Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron
Filmed official music video for rock supergroup “The Last in Line”