Work Permits


The Illinois Department of Labor oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating the employment of workers less than 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law).       Minors are not allowed to work in any establishment that sells or serves alcohol

Applying for a Work Permit

Applications are done in person (Student with the Parent) and by appointment only! Please contact Shannon Dunn at (847-756-2344) to schedule an appointment to apply for a work permit. Work permits can be issued when school is not in session. Please allow 24 hours for a response to your request during the summer months.  

One parent/guardian and the minor MUST be present at the time of application as REQUIRED under section 205/12 of the State of Illinois Child Labor Law.  

The following items must be presented at time of application. No exceptions can be made: 

  • Letter of intent to employ from the employer. Occupation and exact hours to be worked (hours per day and hours per week). Name, address, phone number and contact person of employer. 
  • Original birth certificate or baptismal certificate showing date and place of birth. A U.S. passport is acceptable.  
  • Social Security Card
  • Copy of detailed physical examination which includes specific dates and immunizations, signed by a public health physician and dated within one (1) year of the date the minor is applying for the work permit or the completed State of Illinois/Certificate of Physical Fitness form signed by the examiner. An IHSA physical is not acceptableAlthough you may have a physical on file with the nurses’ office at BHS, we do not share documents and you must bring in a copy to file with the permit application. 
  • Principal Statement (if the student is not a Barrington High School student) noting that the minor is a student in good standing at the school he/she attends. 
  • Consent of Parent/Guardian to apply for and issue the work permit. A consent form will be provided to the parent/guardian to sign when applying for the work permit.  

For Minors Employed as an Actor/Model

As of January 1st, 2020, minor performers who live or work in Illinois are required to adhere to the Coogan Law. The Coogan Law stipulates that all performing minors have a “Coogan account” (i.e., blocked trust account) to hold 15% of their earnings until they reach adulthood. Proof of an established trust account for the minor is a requirement for issuance of a work permit for modeling/acting.

A letter from the financial institution showing the name of the minor, custodian name, name and address of the financial institution, account type, account number and signed by a representative of the financial institution.